Thursday, November 12, 2009

Batam, August 27 2005

Journey in my life

When I graduated from my university, I only have a piece of experience that I got from my internship in Toyota Motor Company during my study.
Since my background study is Electrical Engineering, after my graduation I decided to join AIT with some reasons,

1. It is located in Batam. The Island that very far from my hometown in Java. I have never been here before, so it must be very exciting to go to a new place with the condition inside.
Moreover, Batam is well known as industrial’s island, and the location is near to Singapore. I thought that I will meet new people from different countries with different characteristics, I can go abroad (at least in Asia) and it really gave excitement to me at that time.
2. AIT is multinational company with core-business in semiconductor.
Despite of the fact that I will earn more money if I work in multinational company, the experience to work in semiconductor industry with a high technology in Indonesia is really interesting for me. I will have so many experiences and learn about technology, systems and also working attitude in a big multinational company that I believe it will be useful for my life.

I join in Customer Service Department, It was not HR’s offering to place me in this department but I asked for it during my final interview with Pak Tigran, Pak Hardiono, Pak Jeff Lim, and Pak Eko. I did not choose to be an engineer or QA or supervisor but Customer Service Representative due to the following reasons,

1. They told me that being Customer Service Representative here is to be an interface between Customer and factory. We need to coordinate factory on how to meet Customer’s requirement and expectation. I like the job description because it made me as a kind of “important” person (in my opinion). I will be a key person in the factory although I just a Staff.
2. Besides my study in electrical engineering, I also took diploma study for two years majoring in English language. Being Customer Service Representative which communicating daily with Customers will make my English capability can be improved time by time.
3. I prefer to have a job which can make me meet with people, having a discussion, coordinating something to get the solution rather than engineering job which most of the time spent with machine.
4. Being a Customer service Representative, I still can learn the semiconductor technology in general and to get the knowledge and information of the development.

Time goes by. Thanks God that I can learn and get so many things from this company. AIT gave me so many experiences for my life.

However, Working in AIT was not the end of my journey of life. I have a dream since my final year in Senior High School. A dream that I always keep in my mind and I pray to God that he will allows me to reach and make my dream comes true.

It was a long time and long process for me to decide what I want myself to be. I joined and accepted in the military senior high school (SMA Taruna Nusantara) I went through but then I decided to leave. I joined and accepted in the Pastoral School to be a Priest and I leave it again because I did not get what I want there. How lucky I am to have parents that always understand and supporting my option.

And then I got it. I make my own path of the journey of my life. Working in social organization, studying in Electrical Engineering, taking an English diploma, working in AIT, taking master in my study for psychology or management, working in other companies, working in the non-profit organization, are only part of the journey in my life.

I have a plan to make a school – a school in the undeveloped area, a cheap school but with a best quality in “education” that can make a person not only smart and clever but also humanist and have the care for others. Having the ability to survive in every condition.

Maybe it is just a children’s dream - not a wise and mature way to reach the goal.
But that what I want to do – I am not yet 25 in my age and my life is only for once.
I tried to do something or I will just flows and died without doing anything. Maybe I will fail and not success but at least I already tried.

They say: life begins at 40’. Hopefully when I reach that age I already make my dream come true and I can live my life happily 
Thus, I will treat these 15 years (from 25 up to 40) as a preparation that I need to work hard, stay focus, to get what I want in my life…

Sincerely,

Stephanus Yohanes de Britto Wisnu Kumara Jati, S.T.

1 comment:

dWi said...

"from 25 up to 40"
you deserve it